Walking is good for our health, an excellent way to socialise, and is a form of active travel - sustainable and carrying for the environment.
Your legs and lungs will feel better after a short or long walk , and being outside and in amongst green spaces is excellent for our well being.
The green spaces, countryside and agricultural land in Gloucestershire are stunning!
Benefits of walking
- Walking releases endorphins and improves your mood, so you will arrive at your destination feeling fresh, relaxed and more alert.
- Just being outdoors helps top up your vitamin D levels.
- Walking burns calories to help maintain a healthy weight.
- Walking reduces the risk of developing health problems.
- Walking can improve the flexibility and strength of your muscles, joints and bones.
- Walking can help you to reduce stress.
- Walking can increase your energy.
- Walking can help you better manage anxiety.
- Walking can help you sleep better.
- Walking can improve your confidence and self-esteem.
Even if you live just a bit too far to make the whole journey on foot, taking public transport will give you more of an opportunity to walk.