Electric cars have many benefits, including:
- They are quieter and cleaner.
- They don’t produce any tailpipe emissions, so they have a negligible effect on air quality.
- They reduce carbon emissions, compared to petrol / diesel vehicles.
Currently the UK Government is offering electric (plug-in) car and van grants for certain category vehicles. Find out more at plug-in car and van grants.
Electric vehicles are cheaper to run than petrol / diesel cars:
- A full £2 or £3 charge gives a typical range of 100 miles. Travelling that distance in a petrol or diesel car would cost around £12 to £18.
- Top up your electric car on a low rate overnight electricity tariff for the biggest savings.
- Electric vehicles are currently exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax).
- Travelling to London? Electric cars are eligible for a 100% discount from the London Congestion Charge, worth up to £2,400 a year.
- There are fewer mechanical components than conventional vehicles so servicing and maintenance costs are likely to be lower.